Septic Arthritis - Native Joint
Septic arthritis should be suspected in patients with acute monoarthritis.
ALWAYS obtain synovial fluid cultures AND blood cultures prior to initiating empiric antimicrobial therapy.
Strongly consider both Infectious Diseases and Orthopedic Surgery consultations.
(1) Gupta et al. A prospective 2-year study of 75 patients Rheumatology 2001:40(1)
(2) Smith, Piercy. Infectious Arthritis Clinical Infectious Disease 1995:20(2)
(3) Shah et al. Does the presence of crystal arthritis rule out septic arthritis? Journal of Emergency Medicine 2006:32(1)
(4) Margaretten et al. Does this Adult Patient have Septic Arthritis? JAMA 2007:297(13)
(5) Kortekagas et al. Synovial Fluid Leukcytosis in Bacterial Arthritis vs. Reactive Arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis in the Adult Knee. Scandinavian Journal of Rheumatology 1992:21(6)